12 November 2009

Homework Hysteria

I feel like I'm home schooling. Aside from the half hour it takes every night to read through teacher's notes, sign permission slips, send in money/homebaking/charity donations, I am solidly helping with homework from 4-5pm (while I'm trying to cook supper, soothe a crying baby, stop the two year old from drawing on said crying baby with a green permanent marker) and then sometimes help with more homework for half an hour after supper too. This is with only 2 children in school, and only in P1 and P3. Is this normal? What do parents do if they work all day and only get home at 6pm?

9 Comments:

At 20:31, Anonymous Anita C said...

Oh dear - that does seem a bit much. But little geniuses need to start young.

Lots of love,

Ax

 
At 23:47, Blogger tracey said...

Its nuts! School work is for school I say!

 
At 14:44, Anonymous riekske said...

Yaeh Tracy, well said. And coming from a teacher, it's evven weller said!!!!

 
At 22:58, Blogger Patrick Reynolds said...

Boo. That's ridiculous; there's a growing anti-homework movement, and I hope they gain a lot more ground. I never had homework that young; I remember doing lots of homework in junior high, but only because I worked so inefficiently. I quit doing homework in grade 10, and it was the best academic move I ever made; it taught me to work really hard during the school day. I think lots of homework is a result of ineffective teaching methods, and it teaches ineffective studying methods.

 
At 07:02, Blogger Bethanne Reynolds said...

Even though I'm against homework especially at your kids' ages, I still have to give homework according to my school but I never think about the actual reality of the homelife and stress it creates. That sounds impossible and you should start an anti-homework movement at your school and I bet most parents will be on your side. I'll try to find the research that says how negative homework is. Was the old school like that too?

 
At 12:00, Blogger John and Sharon said...

Well, I'm hoping this is a lot of catch-up work, after changing schools last week. If it hasn't changed in 2-3 weeks, I might start up a protest movement.

 
At 13:20, Anonymous asr said...

I don't remember a lot of homework in the days of old until I went to high school. I remember that we had to learn to spell 5 new words every evening and memorize a four line stanza of a poem once a week. Times have sure changed.

 
At 14:33, Blogger Jen said...

I don't see the point in assigning homework until the majority of students can do it independently.

 
At 21:00, Blogger St. Louis Family said...

I"m with ya sista! Hannah's teacher either teaches poorly or is mean...she has up to 3 hours of homework a night and ends up in tears many nights. It's unrealistic and unfair. (grade 5) Jack's teacher assigns NONE (grade 3) and Henry has to read 2 very short books a night (senior kindergarten). Seems completely up to the teacher at our school!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home